Friday, August 20, 2010

[ my porch makeover ]

SUMMER IS quickly coming to an end and so I've been trying to tackle some of the projects that have been hanging around. First up: giving my screened-in porch a makeover.


This porch is a great space where you can enjoy the outdoors even when it's raining and is a lifesaver in the early summer months when mosquitoes are out in full force. Since I'm more of a beach girl and less log cabin, I've been wanting to lighten up this porch with a bit of a whitewash on all that pine. And so I rummaged through my paints and found some leftover  Benjamin Moore Cloud White (the same paint I've used on our trim and kitchen cabinets).


I brushed on the paint and using come old cut up t-shirts, I wiped it off to allow the wood grain to show through.


There were a lot of nooks and crannies and grooves between the boards so getting it consistent was a little challenging.



Each screen has a plexiglass window which are all different sizes (just to complicate things!) and so I found some cute little number plaques to fasten to each one so we can keep track of which window goes where.


It took me a few days to get this project done (it took longer than I expected) but I'm happy with how it turned out. It feels so much fresher and brighter. Half of the porch is set up with this little cafe set with antique chairs I picked up for a song at an auction in PEI a few years ago.

 




The other side is set up for lounging. We repurposed an extra bed we had and made it into a daybed with lots of pillows that you can sink into to read a book or take an afternoon nap.




Remember this little table I found at the Christie Antique Fair for $50? It fits perfectly into this little spot between the daybed and the other door.



I'm glad this project is finally done (I've been meaning to get to it for a couple of summers now) and I can finally lay back and relax this weekend in my "new" porch before summer ends! Hope you all have a lovely relaxing weekend too!

lisa

25 comments:

Lavennz Ooi said...

what a lovely porch...i can sure that u had a wonderful time in this makeover and enjoy your book on your lounging bed with cup of nice tea and soft pillows. Envy...

hugs,
Lavennz

Tonia Lee Smith said...

Growing up we had a screened porch, and this reminds me of that. My grandmother screeen porch had a daybed and we use to fight over it when we had our Summer visits.

Karena said...

I love the change, I know it was a lot of work, well worth it though!!

Karena
Art by Karena

Pinecone Camp said...

You've done a great job! What an inviting spot to hang out. Looks like a beautiful place to be.
Have a great weekend!
Btw, the Christmas story I mentioned, was for Chatelaine ;)

Dionne said...

This looks fantastic! Come and make over my place!

Unknown said...

Love the makeover, do mine please!

Sophia Molen said...

soo cute! beautiful makeover! good job!

Bright Circle said...

Beautiful! I especially like your clever application of the paint with t-shirts. The 'before' view reminds me of my uncle's house up in Cincinnati but the 'after' view is definitely more beach-house-like.

jdavissquared said...

what a transformation! I love the beachy feel, and that lantern is fabulous!

christine, just bella said...

what an adorable little space!! I just want to curl up here and take a nap!

A.Clark said...

Love how fresh it looks!

http://ashleighnclark.blogspot.com/

Annette said...

I would love to have a porch like that to hang out in. Great job!!

Julie Holloway said...

It looks amazing! You taught me something using the tshirts to apply paint. And I really dig the french enamel plaques. I hope you blog about napping there this weekend! Julie

Marie said...

Hi, you won my book giveaway, please send your address to me at lemondropvintage@gmail.com

Unknown said...

This came out so beautiful. Looks like a magazine spread, the numbers are so chic and right on trend...love what you did here...every inch of it!

Kellie Collis said...

What a gorgeous makeover! Hope you are having a perfect weekend! Kellie xx

La Dolfina said...

Congratulations Lisa... it's gorgeous, like right out of a magazine. Every time you do a project, I'm amazed at your talent :)
Enjoy!!
x

Unknown said...

It came out beautifully! So impressed, love the daybed!

annechovie said...

I so love this, Lisa! Great job.

Unknown said...

I could spend all day in there.. what a gorgeous space!! xx

lisaroy said...

wow- thanks everyone for your lovely comments! I have had a bit of an extended weekend and have to admit I've enjoyed my new space! :)

A Perfect Gray said...

looks wonderful! so fresh and airy. I know you will enjoy it for years to come...

Vintage Home said...

..wow wonderful job!

Kerry said...

Absolutely LOVE your porch makeover! The whitewash totally brightens the space up, and I love that daybed in the corner surrounded by windows! What a perfect space to curl up with a book! :)

Unknown said...

Love this makeover. Its sad your leaving it but, I imagine your new place will look just as wonderful but different of course. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails