Wednesday, April 10, 2013

[ house hunting ]

WELL, judging from your comments and emails, it's a tough choice between an apartment or a villa. Believe me, I have agonized over it.

But we've made a decision... a villa!

I think it ultimately boiled down to a simple thing, really.... what can I control and what can I not? And the answer was pretty simple ~ I can't control other people ~ not their habits, lifestyles or cuisine. And knowing how my sanity has been stretched to the limit with neighbour noise and odours, I just couldn't risk moving into another apartment and potentially dealing with the same thing all over again. Most places require you to pay for an entire year of rent upfront and sign a lease, so it's not an easy situation to get out of here in Dubai. So it's a gamble. And one that I wasn't willing to take again, no matter how much I love the convenience and location.

And so, after hitting the streets and touring some neighbourhoods, we've decided on Arabian Ranches...


...a large gated community about 20 minutes from the heart of downtown Dubai. It's got quite a nice vibe to it with a lovely community spirit. Driving around reminded us of our visit to Scottsdale, Arizona ~ you almost forget you're in Dubai...


It's divided into smaller enclaves, with homes varying from huge villas to attached villa/townhouses. The developer has done a nice job of including plenty of park space, community pools/tennis courts and a few man-made lakes with walking trails. It really does feel like a little oasis in the desert...



We were only out looking at the layout options, but happened to view one where the owners were looking to move out at the end of June and it was perfect ~ an end unit, backing onto a park with a pretty little backyard...



... and all for less than what we would pay to rent our current 2 bedroom apartment in the same building we're in now with the hike in rental prices. I think the sound of birds chirping instead of traffic and construction noise clinched it for me.

I know I'll need to work out the location situation ~ that's the biggest Con on my list. But I think it will feel a lot more normal for us to live in a villa since we've never really been apartment dwellers. I'm ready for a change. I can't wait to feel the grass between my toes and have a solid night's sleep!

lisa

8 comments:

Formerly known as Frau said...

It's gorgeous and yes it reminds me of Arizona too. I think you are right the noises and smell alone will be better. Change will be good.

Leanne said...

...a very good choice for a hsp like you...xoxo

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

I am excited for you Lisa! It looks like it is going to be a wonderful change!

Carol@TheDesignPages said...

I think it's so awesome that you're trying it all. By the time you leave Dubai you'll have had a taste of all lifestyles. Looks like an awesome place xx

Lynda @ Happenstance Home said...

That looks like it will be a nice change for you, and another way for you to experience Dubai. Best Wishes on your move.

Barbara Matson said...

Gorgeous! I think you will enjoy the quiet!

Carolyn@Sweet Chaos Home said...

I think the villa looks perfect! It'll be a nice change to have some grass. Can't wait to hear all about it :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa
You are going to love the Ranches...the location is not as central as the Marina, but you will gain so much more....fresh air, birds, trees, no noisy neighbours on top of you..no weird cooking smells!!
I have friends who have lived there for years and I love to visit them..its like a mini-break!
Hope your move goes smoothly..I feel your pain. I have moved 10 times in 13 years due to rent hikes.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails