Tuesday, January 21, 2014

[ tackling the beast ]

SO IT wasn't too long ago that I had a rant about my lovely Laura Ashley sofa {read about it here} and I did a bit of repair to the cushions that were crushing down to nothing. Well, here we are again...


See how the back cushions are keeping their shape but those seat cushions are an embarrassing lumpy mess? Well, that's partially my fault since I took the lazy way out last time and simply shoved more filling in to plump them up. Bad idea because now I'm stuck having to fix them all over again! I swear this sofa will be the death of me!

Time to open them up again...


...and reconstruct these babies. Open the interior casing, pull out all the stuffing and pick apart the channel dividers to create one open cavity...


I still had the rest of the foam I had purchased for this project initially to cut into shape with an exacto knife. I bought some quilt batting and flattened out some of the old stuffing to create some new layers...


then wrapped it all up and trimmed the shape...


The worst part was wrestling this into the old casing and hand-sewing it back up but I eventually got it in there. Hopefully this will be more comfortable and last a while longer. I'm pretty sure this is the last time I'm doing anything to this ridiculous sofa ~ next time, to the curb!


Now what to do with all this...


So that's what I've been up to over here. Have you tackled any projects lately?

lisa

8 comments:

Razmataz said...

Laura Ashley should be ashamed of the crappy fill in their sofas. I have a local company that makes all of my furniture for clients and it all comes down to the quality of the underneath bits, especially the foam. You could get an upholsterer to make new new seats one day if it is worth keeping. You certainly did a good job fixing it. Once again an example of disposable furniture..such a shame.

Meeling said...

You did a great job! What a shame tho that you've already had to do this twice. I find they really don't make things like they used to. It's sad too, when that's not a "low end" discount sofa, I would certainly have expected more out of a big name.

Leanne said...

"yikes" ....you're so cute, sorry i couldn't have been there to help you wrestle it back in. :) it looks great! i have done NOTHING....but i really do need to get busy. xoxo

Formerly known as Frau said...

Wow what a difference looks so much better! Hopefully more compfy too!

a breath of fresh air said...

Yikes that sounds like a nightmare, especially as we are choosing sofas right now ourselves. Been doing our cottage up and finally getting to the nice bit.....buying furniture.
Annie

Carolyn@Sweet Chaos Home said...

You are so resourceful! Hope it last a bit longer for you now.

Carolyn@Sweet Chaos Home said...

You are so resourceful! Hope it last a bit longer for you now.

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

You must be so annoyed! I'm sure you paid a pretty penny for that sofa! I hope the cushions are de-lumpified for quite awhile!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails