Monday, July 11, 2011

[ rug shopping ]

I HOPE EVERYONE had a lovely weekend! As predicted, we scoured the malls for more furniture, etc for our place. We found a few things and just need to wait for them to be delivered later this week. Stay tuned!

One thing on our shopping list is a rug for the living room area. There's a lot happening in the world of rugs right now and I've been seeing some beautiful patterns - geometrics, florals, stripes and the traditional Persians. I have admired so many gorgeous rugs in blogland - the options are endless!

I'm looking at creating a space that says "summer chic" and so committing to a bright patterned rug just doesn't seem practical for me. I love to switch things up so keeping the big pieces more neutral allows me the freedom to change cushions and art/accessories as often as I'd like without worrying about colours and patterns clashing. And when I see rooms like these, it's pretty easy for me to make my choice.

[stettvoll; tracery interiors; unknown; veranda; houseandhome; skona hem; elle decor; 
via chic coles; housetohome; country homes and interiors; house beautiful; 
gerrie bremermann; house beautiful]


Aren't those rooms gorgeous? I love the versatility of sisal and seagrass - it works in the most casual spaces or formal rooms to make them feel less stuffy. And they add such wonderful texture to neutral rooms. 

With our decision made, we started our search. Since most of the rug stores here carry wool rugs in any pattern you can imagine (beautiful, but just not what I was looking for), we were thanking our lucky stars that there is actually a Pottery Barn in Dubai! We settled on their seagrass with a natural twill border - timeless and the smoothness of the weave will keep it looking good for a long time to come.


I couldn't believe a 9'x12' rug would fit in our rental car but we managed to wedge it in and here it is in our space. I love the contrast of it with the wood floors and I think it defines the space perfectly. Now all we need is furniture! Our temporary Fatboy beanbags just don't do it justice!

lisa


18 comments:

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I'm sure you will have it all looking great in no time. I came to Kuwait 16-1/2 years ago with a trunk of clothes and a few personal pieces and that was it. Has taken me quite a while to gather what I have now. Hubby has bought several Persian carpets as folks have left the country and we've gotten many antique pieces that way too. I love the neutral rooms but I have color exploding all around me. I can't seem to go with simple. :/ We are back from Nepal and I am on the last couple loads of laundry that needed to be done. The trip was quite an experience but it sure is good to be back in our own space, even if it is hot and dusty outside. We got our share of rain and water while in Nepal, that's for sure. Have a great week. Tammy

Unknown said...

You will love your seagrass rug. I have the same one in both my living room and my entry. It has had mud tracked on it, peed on and worse (new puppy) and it still perfect looking!

Robynne's Nest said...

You can't go wrong with that type of rug...and where ever you move to later on, it will always be useful. Can't wait to see the room furnished, as you've managed to make bean bags look chic! Robx

Formerly known as Frau said...

Love it...I can't believe you have a PB there, wow such a great find! I have no doubt your place will look and feel like home soon. Have a wonderful Monday!

Anonymous said...

I have had both sisal and seagrass in my home and I like how they add texture but don't compete for too much attention. I like the seagrass better, only because it's a bit softer on the feet. xo

Red Door Home said...

Your inspiration photos are beautiful. The seagrass is a great atart! Looking forward to seeing the space all come together.

Emily A. Clark said...

So funny--I think we're going for a very similar look. (Wait til you see my upcoming post on what rug I chose!) :)

And, I mainly wanted to say how much better it makes me feel to see your bean bag chairs. We're definitely living in chaos w/out all of our furniture here yet!

Have a great day,
Emily

Lynda @ Happenstance Home said...

I have two of that same rug - brown border. Love them!!! You sure have lots to gather, but it must be fun!

Meeling said...

Yay for PB being halfway around the globe! Good neutral, textural choice...love the beanbag chairs on it...lol!

Carissa @ the Fabulous Design File said...

Love it! Love all of your inspiration shots too...

jeanette from everton terrace said...

I'm a neutral gal so I love your choices and all those rooms. The ceiling and windows in the 2nd room are fanfreakintastic!

Melissa Blake said...

Ohhh, those are gorgeous rooms!

Carol@TheDesignPages said...

Considering you've only been there a short while you seem to be pulling the plan together extremely well. Love the new rug.

SHERRY HART said...

Good Lord...they have PB there!!! I can't believe it. And...I agree with you, just can't beat the look of seagrass.....classic.

Anne-Marie @ 10 Rooms said...

love that you are bringing a bit of the seaside with you! Seeing that room with the two beanbags reminds me of my first apartment, lol! Love the huge window...

Barbara Matson said...

Loving how the place is coming together! Love the bed - gorgeous!

Marcus Design said...

That is really a lovely rug, and it's exciting to hear you went shopping for more furniture! Things are coming together, can't wait to see!
Nancy xo

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Gorgeous! You made a wonderful choice! It looks really good with your floors. All of your inspiration photos are lovely and I can just imagine your beautiful new couch on your pretty new rug. (how many more weeks for that couch?! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails