Thursday, December 6, 2012

[ flea-ing in Paris ]

IT'S NO secret that one of my absolute favourite things is to go to flea markets, antique fairs, auctions, thrift stores and yard sales ~ most of which don't exist here in Dubai. So I wasn't going to pass up visiting the big Paris flea market, Les Puces Saint-Ouen.

We took the Metro up to the Porte de Clignancourt stop, walked past all the cheesy clothing stalls and arrived in heaven...


If you've never been, this place is HUGE. Filled with alleys of permanent little stalls overflowing with French goodness...


Here's a peek at some gorgeous eye-candy for you...


Even a stall named after my guy...


Time to refuel...


This is one market that could easily use a couple of days to get through. There were many areas that we had to pass right by due to time {and our feet were hurting and noses were cold}. I would recommend the Vernaison area and the Paul Bert area for sure and then add on the others if time permits.

So after this overload of vintage goodness, what did I buy?

Well, let's just say that anyone who lives in Paris is very lucky ~ just have it delivered and furnish your entire place in gorgeousness. I wasn't prepared to start shipping anything to Dubai so I only ended up picking a few small items {some other things I would have loved to go back to get, but neither one of us felt like navigating back through the stalls at the end of the day}. It was overwhelming and after a while I couldn't even think straight! And I had to consider ease of bringing home in my suitcase with airline weight limits.

So I came home with:
a vintage enamel house number...

an old metal sign stencil in my initial {to add to a gallery wall}...

a vintage French book with beautifully aged pages {perfect for crafting}...



and a vintage price sign from a French meat counter {perfect to frame with my other quirky kitchen art ~ the old milk bottle tops and potato sack tags}...


I know, they may not seem like mind-blowing purchases, but I had an amazing day. A bit cold to do in November ~ definitely better in warmer weather, especially for anyone who's not quite a diehard antiquer.

Stay tuned for the next instalment ~ the Paris Christmas Market and a wrap-up of miscellaneous Paris prettiness!

lisa

9 comments:

Leanne said...

i think i'd be happy there :)

Formerly known as Frau said...

I would be in heaven.....I'm surprised we didn't do that when I went with my antique collector sister.....next time! I love what you got and just the experience alone is a treasure!

flowers on my table said...

Hello Lisa, oh hurrah, you got your Fleamarket fix at long last. Your purchases are wonderful. I am sure that there are not many bargains to be had in Paris now though?
Many thanks for your kind comments. How lovely that you have some new shoes from Paris, to remind you of it, every time you wear them. Much love, Linda x

Meeling said...

Looks divine! I'd have been in heaven. Love your purchases, especially your meat counter sign - that's fabulous!

I love little things like that, great memories and they are easy to take home in a suitcase. I have little odds & ends from markets that we've visited on travels and they are amongst my favorite treasures.

Tracey Ayton Photography said...

I found it really hard to go through the markets and know that if I fell in love with something, I would have to try to talk my husband into allowing me to bring it on the plane with us. Thanks for brining back the Parisian memories!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Can't imagine a much better way to spend the day than flea market shopping and dining in France! Love those baskets you show. I think your purchases are awesome. I especially like the cute red sheep!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so envious. You just took me on a stroll of a perfect day. I'd love to go to a Paris flea market. So many amazing treasures to be found. Love your number sign! xo

Travel With Lulu said...

Oh Lisa, Lisa, Lisa! I have such mixed feelings about now knowing this dreamy place exists! Ooh, you know my vintage heart would love it. Were the prices reasonable?

My favorite buy of yours is the meat tag because it is random, it is colorful, it is in francs, and I love the idea of how it will be framed :)

Tiffany @ {Living Savvy} said...

That would be so hard to shop and not be able to buy! I would be overwhelmed too! Some great finds thought.. I love the number and letter!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails