Wednesday, January 16, 2013

[ rug shopping ]

SO, armed with my inspiration pics, I've done a bit of looking around for a rug. You'd think that it would be easier to find something in the Middle East, but let's just say that if budget were no object, it would be a breeze. I love the worn look of antique Persians but it's just not what I want to spend right now and prices are steep, especially in Dubai.

My guy needed to take a little road trip to Fujairah so I decided to ride along. I remembered the last time we drove along that highway, there were market stalls selling everything from rugs to cookware to swing sets...


We decided to stop and take a look. The quality and styles {some were very over-the-top and definitely not my style} varied greatly but I had a feeling we might find something for a reasonable price. So did the guys that suddenly appeared to help us...


Eager to help us find just the right one, they started rolling them out and rolling them out, while we tried to slow them down and explain what colour/style we were looking for {a slight language barrier}...


After rolling out over 20, we managed to settle on one and they packed it up for us...


So what did we buy? This lovely cream/taupe silk rug...


I wanted something fairly neutral so it would still work with the light/seaside feel of our place and not be too overwhelming. Even though it's a very traditional pattern, it works well with our white/natural linen fabrics and I can still mix and match any accent colours to go along with it without clashing.


Someday I may layer it over my seagrass rug in the living room but for now, I think it works well under our dining table. 


While it may not be the antique Persian I would love someday, I think it's a great starting point. I'll still keep looking for a great antique one. 

But for now, I like how it really defines our dining space. And for some strange reason, I feel kind of grown-up now!

lisa

11 comments:

Leanne said...

Pretty choice Lisa...

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

I love it Lisa! Great choice! Your dining room is looking so pretty!

Lynda @ Happenstance Home said...

Your entire shopping experience looks so interesting and unique. Nice to have a great story to go along with your beautiful find.

Meeling said...

What a fun way to go rug shopping!! That's a day I'm sure you'll never forget. :-)

I love what you picked, very versatile and I think it would look great layered over seagrass!

Carol@TheDesignPages said...

wow Lisa, that looks like an amazing experience. Not at all like going to HomeSense and buying a rug:) I am so envious of your adventure and your rug...but in a good way.

Travel With Lulu said...

I love seeing the photos of your everyday life - driving on the road and the market. I've never been to the Middle East, so I find them really interesting. I would have been nervous with all the bargaining involved - I'm such a novice :)Your rug is just gorgeous under your beautiful table.

Formerly known as Frau said...

Love the colors, looks great under our table!

Loddelina said...

I love your new carpet, it was interesting to read your post and I am surprised at how bold, modern looking styles the shop had to offer as well. Enjoy your grown up dining room!

Loddelina said...

I love your new carpet, it was interesting to read your post and I am surprised at how bold, modern looking styles the shop had to offer as well. Enjoy your grown up dining room!

InteriorGroupie said...

Absolutely gorgeous! It looks amazing in your space,and very calming and cool.

Barbara Matson said...

gorgeous!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails