Wednesday, February 27, 2013

[ show me a sign ]

TODAY I decided to create a sign ~ a sort of mile marker sign from our old stomping grounds. Nothing fancy but easy...




I started with a thin piece of wood 24"x4". I gave it a coat of flat white paint. After typing out what I wanted it to say, I printed it out IN REVERSE on my inkjet printer and taped the pieces together.

To transfer the text to the wood, I used a Prismacolor Colorless Blender pen {picked up from the art supply store} and a spoon...


I just taped the paper to the wood printed side down and coloured over each letter with the colourless marker ~ it transferred the inkjet ink onto the wood...


After each letter while still wet, I rubbed over it with a spoon to make sure it transferred...



Once all letters were transferred, I painted over them with a paint pen {or you could use a small paintbrush}...


I wanted the letters a little bit faded and the sign to look slightly weathered but still quite white overall. After some sanding, a tiny bit of ageing with brown around the edges and some touching up with white paint over top which I rubbed on with a damp rag, here it is...


I'm not sure where it will go for now, but I think I'll add it to our future gallery wall {I know, I'm still talking about it but I swear I'm planning it out for when we move into our new apartment in a few months!}

Have you worked on any little projects lately?

lisa

7 comments:

Leanne said...

love the blender pen tip! thanks. i have a gallery wall waiting to happen too...no excuse as we are not planning to move for quite a while. i'm just chicken. :) xo

Meeling said...

Very cool Lisa!!

Formerly known as Frau said...

Love it.....turned out great....nice to have a little reminder of home. Have a great day!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Looks great Lisa! Nice to have a reminder of home near by. It will look great on your gallery wall!

Lynda @ Happenstance Home said...

Your sign turned out really nice. Thank you for sharing how you made it!

Carolyn@Sweet Chaos Home said...

Love it! You're so creative!!

Pinecone Camp said...

I love that! I used to use a blender tip for photo transfers. I love this tip to make a cute sign. Well done, as always Lisa. Hope all is well.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails