Monday, October 21, 2013

[ the aran sweater ]

MY GUY just returned from a business trip to Ireland and brought me back this lovely Aran sweater made from soft 100% merino wool...


so that I can look as cute as this {note the denim shirt underneath}...


It's funny because we lived there for 4 years and I never bought myself one!


Aran sweaters ~ aka fisherman sweaters {or jumpers as they're referred to in Ireland} have been around since the 19th century and originated on the Aran Islands, off the west coast of Ireland at the mouth of Galway Bay. Originally they were handknit by the wives of fisherman from undyed, unscoured wool which retained its natural lanolin oil and made them water resistant. 

The sweaters are distinguished by their complex stitch patterns and each have a significance: the cable is said to be a wish for safety and good luck when fishing, the honeycomb is the symbol of the hard-working bee, the basket stitch represents the hope for a plentiful catch, and the diamond a wish of success, wealth and treasure.

Eventually island women began producing these sweaters not just for their families but as a source of income.

These sweaters have seen a resurgence in popularity and have become a fashion must this year, a true wardrobe classic.

The Aran Sweater Market since 1892 on Inis Mor, the largest of the 
three Aran Islands



Looking for a genuine Aran sweater but no plans to be in Ireland anytime soon? Try the Aran Sweater Market online shop!


Of course you can always try to find an imitation at places like LLBean, JCrew, Brooks Brothers, ASOS.com. etc. Either way, you'll still look fashionable...


How about you? Do you own an Aran sweater? Will you be adding one to your fall/winter wardrobe this year?

lisa

[via aransweatermarket; LLBean; models.com; nichollvincent.blogspot; lolobu.com; chictopia.com; stylezen.net; swandiamondrose.tumblr; michaelkors; dailycrush.net; trendymadness.blogspot]

6 comments:

Leanne said...

They're very lovely...not sure I could pull off that look, plus I'm getting cranky in my mid-life and I can't seem to be comfortable with anything around my neck. I need a v-neck version or a cardigan...or one with a hood and a kangaroo pocket! See? I'm picky! xo

All things nice... said...

I am Irish and have lived here all my life, but to us Aran Sweaters are not very cool, particularly the cream ones, you may get me into a navy one, but cream- never!
I think it is something that rural country folk wore years ago and today they are a bit twee if you know what I mean. Tourists love them along with the leprechauns and sheep. I'm glad you like yours though and that it reminds you of Ireland...

All things nice...

Formerly known as Frau said...

Love it.....I hemmed and ahh over one when we were there but spent so much on other things and past...next trip! It's a classic! Enjoy!

Meeling said...

Gorgeous! I checked out their website - in love with the green one with a cowl neckline. :-D

Carolyn@Sweet Chaos Home said...

I bought an Aran sweater when I was in Ireland more than 20 years ago. I've packed it away, but you've inspired me to resurrect it!! :)

Anne-Marie @ 10 Rooms said...

Hi Lisa! It's been so long - glad to see you're still basking in the sunshine! Love the sweater, have been looking for a more affordable cottony version in canada... for our not-so-sunshiney winter ahead! x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails