Tuesday, October 12, 2010

[ car boot sales ]

WHEN WE FIRST came to Ireland almost 4 years ago, I had no idea what a car boot was, let alone a car boot sale. I would see generic signs every so often, primarily in church parking lots or schools for an upcoming Car Boot Sale but foolishly never bothered to actually find out what they were.

Silly me, a car boot is the trunk of a car and a car boot sale is the equivalent to a garage/yard sale in Canada and US but people park their cars in a parking lot, pop open their trunks and display all the goodies they have to sell. Since I always get a thrill from garage sales and finding treasures in thrift stores, this was right up my alley and we finally went to our FIRST car boot sale when we stumbled upon one on the weekend!


It wasn't a big sale but it was fun to wander around and check out what people had up for grabs.









Though there were a few interesting things to pick up, we settled on a few paperbacks for 50 cents each and some homemade raspberry jam. A fun day and I'll definitely be on the lookout for more upcoming sales!

lisa



7 comments:

Dionne said...

Oh wow, we call them "boots" back in Oz too, but I've never heard of a Car Boot Sale. How fun! I love that idea!

Meeling said...

How fun! Hunting for treasures is always a great day.

Stephanie said...

I really regret not going to one of these while I was living in england. Looks like fun!

jeanette from everton terrace said...

Hello - thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving such a sweet comment. I'm tickled to have now discovered your blog. Car Boot Sales are great! My mother is from England so I've been hearing about them all my life and have been to quite a few when we are in England. Haven't been to one in Ireland yet. Going to scroll down now and check out your pumpkin recipe!

Amy said...

How fun!!! I would've LOVED to be there. I've actually never been to a sale like that where people just pop open their trunks like that. That would've been a lot of fun treasure-hunting! :D

Artist/Painter said...

Who would have thought I'd develop a need for a pink and white ceramic duck?!

Unknown said...

How fun! I even love the name!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails