Thursday, April 12, 2012

[ white slipcover how-to part 2 ]

SO LET'S see, where did we leave off? Oh, right ~ the arms... {if you missed part 1, click here}




The front of the arm was the only pattern piece I ended up cutting out ~ it was just easier to cut out the shape and then pin it all together with the piping.


The front of the chair is now officially done! Now on to the back...

I debated on what type of closure I wanted to use on the back ~ ribbon ties, zipper, buttons. I decided on a zipper up the back. With the slippery leather underneath, I thought it would be the most secure way to keep the slipcover in place.



I thought the flap over the zipper was a nice way to dress it up a bit and hide the zipper from view. I added a small square of velcro to the bottom to keep the flap closed. I chose a very simple, tailored look, avoiding any frilly skirts or pleating along the bottom. Once hemmed, I like that the feet show slightly. 

On the seat cushion cover, I decided to add a zipper along the back for easy removal and to make the cushion reversible. Because I didn't have a zipper long enough to span across the width of the cushion, I used 2 shorter ones and positioned them to meet in the middle. You could also use ribbon ties, velcro, buttons or big snaps here instead.

Fitting the cushion cover was finicky. I wanted it to fit snuggly but still be easy enough to remove for washing. Trying to avoid puckers was tricky.

Done!


Whew! Glad that's done! I love how they lighten up the room and we no longer stick to the leather in our shorts :) Now I just have to work on some new pretty cushions for them.

a few tips:
1} Take your time. This is not a quick project so don't give yourself a deadline. The slower you go, the better your result.
2} Because you are tearing the fabric, there WILL be strings. Everywhere.
3} Make friends with your seam ripper ~ you'll likely be needing it to fix little bloops here and there.
4} You WILL prick your fingers on pins a thousand times.
5} Simplify by omitting the piping all together and using ribbon ties instead of zippers.
6} If you do use piping, remember that smaller piping will be easier to maneuver around curves and corners.
7} Don't stress if they're not perfect. Anything's better than that ugly chair you want to cover!

lisa

20 comments:

Johanna [Taloja ja Toiveita] said...

Lisa, I'm impressed! I should have something similar to my old sofa. But think I would not be able to perform even to a slight of what you did. Maybe I'll have just hire the seamstress. Still, thank you for the good step-by-step instructions!

tracie c. said...

WONDERFUL!!!! wow they really turned out great!!! this makes me want to take on the sofa project i've been dreading.

i love that you did a clean tailored look and shared the details of how you did it. that is more my look than ties or ribbons.
thank you for the tutorial and especially the little tips!
again GREAT JOB!!!
xo

Razmataz said...

I can't believe how talented you are. This is something I would never ever try to do. It takes a good seamstress to get this right. They look absolutely fabulous. Great job. I particularly like the way they look from the back. Very nice.

Karen said...

What a beautiful result! Congratulations on completing what was no doubt a very time consuming, but well worth it, job.

Lynne said...

Lisa, Your slipcovers look wonderful!
I need to slipcover our ugly brown couch! Your tutorial is very friendly! It may give me the courage that I need to tackle the job!
Thank you!
~Lynne
w/L.

Carolyn@Sweet Chaos Home said...

You continue to amaze me, Lisa! My head is spinning reading this, because I don't know how to sew and this project seems way overwhelming. If I fly you out here, will you make slipcovers for me?? If only I lived somewhere really exotic... dang!

The slips look FANTASTIC! You are a rock star!!

Anne-Marie @ 10 Rooms said...

I cannot even express how impressed I am right now! I have a settee that's been waiting in storage for over a year, because I keep putting off a new slipcover. Think you've just inspired me, hon - x

Marianne said...

You are so talented, Lisa! I don't think there is anything you can't do. Very impressive!!!!

Unknown said...

These look amazing and I SO NEED to do this on the huge chair in our family room. Can I just have you come over and I'll watch? :) I can promise endless Mimosas and snacks!! Oh and really cute dogs!

Tiffany @ {Living Savvy} said...

Great tutorial! I love the fresh white!

Meeling said...

Wow!! You did a fantastic job!! I've done a slipcover once and it's no easy task.

I'm finally back and trying to catch up on blogs and blogging!!

Have a great weekend Lisa! :-)

jessica said...

You did such a fabulous job!! Looks professional!! (wait- aren't you?!) it's amazing what a little white can do!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Wow, wow, wow!!! Your chairs look amazing!! You are a master seamstress for sure! I am super impressed and your chairs look so beautiful!!

Unknown said...

omgoodness...in a word WOW!:)

Lynda @ Happenstance Home said...

Wow! Your chairs look amazing, and that is a lot of very detailed work. Hope you enjoyed sitting by the pool! You sure earned it! We have some baseball games this weekend, and I'm hoping to get some things done in Noah's room. I'm commenting on two of your posts at once :). Have a great weekend!

flowers on my table said...

Wow Lisa, you are one clever girl! I love how the covers look. I need to make a cover for my sofa as its cover is very old and washed to death, but I am afraid of messing it up as I will need quite a lot of fabric. Thanks for the inspiration and all the great tips! Love Linda x

Barbara Matson said...

You are amazing! I too have made a fitted slipcover and the amount of patience needed is astounding! But the end result is so worth it! Your chairs look fabulous and what is nice is that the leather chairs look fantastic on their own so when you want a change- presto chango!

SHERRY HART said...

My God.....is there anything you can't do:). Amazing job Lisa.....clever girl! They look great.

From G2B said...

Oh yeah!! These looks so super amazing Lisa!! You are ridiculously talented- you can design and DIY! {pinned this one, too}
xo Becca

Debi said...

Gorgeous! Have you washed them yet? I have recovered several pcs., just haven't done a slipcover. I need to do this now. Thanks.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails