Monday, March 21, 2011

[ dubai... luxury life ]

I HAD always heard that Dubai was a place of wealth and lavish shopping. Now I completely understand. For a place of its size, it is filled with huge shopping malls built with the most incredible detail and bursting with designer shops.

One thing I observed is that Arabian women are very beautiful, have meticulous makeup and carry the most amazing handbags. If you've ever watched Sex and the City 2, you'll know what I mean!

They wear an Abayah, a long black garment that covers from shoulders to feet, often embellished with beautiful beading or embroidery.


Underneath the Abayah, they could be wearing a traditional Arabian dress or the latest designer fashions (and amazing shoes!)


Not only does Dubai have incredible fashion, it is filled with gorgeous interior design with a myriad of local design magazines and beautiful shops for furniture and accessories.




I also enjoyed seeing their cultural design style.

But of course they also have IKEA too!


I came across some great chocolate shops and treat places - in Dubai, they're elaborate!


And of course cupcakes from New York City!

So if you're looking to treat yourself and experience a world of luxury, a trip to Dubai is a must! You'll find pretty much every brand you could possibly want and while it may be out of range for many of us, the fact that all shopping is tax-free is a great incentive!

lisa


15 comments:

Maureen Cracknell Handmade said...

What a trip and experience! That you for sharing these gorgeous photos, they are ALL amazing!

Formerly known as Frau said...

Some day I hope to make it there! Amazing pictures...now that is my kind of window shopping, I would have no business walking into any of those stores. I could possibly afford a cupcake! Have a wonderful Monday!

bluehydrangea said...

Amazing pictures!! It all looks so fabulous!!

Meeling said...

Wow!!! That's quite the shopping mall and what a collection of stores and yummy treats.

How fun to experience all of that!!

Happy Monday!

Sherry Truitt said...

Glad you are back. I've always found Dubai an interesting place. Very upscale, but with a workforce comprised of 90% foreigners who live nothing like what we see on the surface.

I'm torn between the beauty and what is truly going on there.

Thanks for some things to ponder today.
xoSherry

Jen @ RamblingRenovators said...

What a sensory overload. Everything appears so detailed and meticulous, the best of the best. But I'm intrigued by Sherry's comment above. It really is a strange juxtoposition.

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

The ceiling in the first photo looks like it's in a palace. It was in the mall? Your Dubai posts are so fun and interesting! After seeing all that luxery, I love seeing that they have an Ikea too. :)

jeanette from everton terrace said...

Wow beautiful indeed. It looks as though the mall and the shops are all empty? Was it just the time of day you were there? I'm wondering how those big names stay open if the places are all deserted. Was that blue and yellow store an IKEA? Looks like it to me.

Pinecone said...

It's all so overly crazy opulent isn't it?! Great photos!
xo
Ashlyn

Carol@TheDesignPages said...

What an amazing trip Lisa. It seems like another world with their clothing and opulence. I have wanted to go for some time so you're reinspiring me to keep it at the top of my list.

Stacey said...

Wow! This post was such a treat! Thanks for sharing these amazing pics Lisa! Xx

Pinecone Camp said...

Thanks for sharing all the pics! Looks like an incredible, and overwhelming, place!

Chanele said...

Wow! So luxurious is right! Their interior design products are so similar to ours- the sleek industrial steel & glass table would fit right in our loft! What a great time- did the Ikea have similar items as here?

Privet and Holly said...

This place just
blows my mind.
It's all so over
the top!!! Thanks
for getting so
many pics; I know
it must have been
a challenge!
xx Suzanne

Sarah @ Modern Country Style said...

This is a fantastic post! I love seeing all the shops looking the same as the ones we have in England, only a little tweak here and there. The style's not quite the same, is it?

I love that desk with the sunburst mirror and the typewriter. Gorgeous!

Sarahx

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails