Wednesday, March 16, 2011

[ dubai... sights and a few rules ]

BEFORE GOING to Dubai, you should familiarize yourself with a few rules to avoid getting yourself thrown in jail (which would definitely put a bit of a damper on your trip!)

1} No public displays of affection, including hand-holding
2} No drinking in public except in a licensed restaurant in a hotel (non-hotel restaurants don't serve alcohol) and you cannot purchase alchohol from a store without a special license
3} Women should cover their shoulders, upper arms and knees and signs encourage visitors to respect local customs and cover up
4} Do not take photos of locals, especially Arab women without their permission first

And so, bearing all these rules in mind, it was time to explore (after my morning latte)!


The world's tallest tower, the Burj Khalifa, is a stunning building with 160 stories that houses the Armani Hotel, observation decks, a restaurant, offices and residences. Our hotel overlooked it and the views were amazing.


Dubai's architecture is incredible and more and more buildings are still being constructed with cranes everywhere you turn.



I love how the styles of buildings are a mix of glass and steel and traditional.


My guy was there for work so I was on my own for most of the time. But on a quick drive around one afternoon, we were able to see a few other areas. 
The Burj Al Arab is the famous luxury hotel shaped like a sail positioned right on the beach.


The Dubai Marina area is filled with gorgeous residential towers surrounding the boats in the marina. Lots of patios and little vendors.


Passing through old Dubai was so interesting and I wish I could have roamed around taking more pics and explored the shops.


We could have even stopped for camel burgers!


sorry buddy...


It's always the simple differences that I find so interesting. 
like their currency...


automatic teller machines for gold...


watching camel races on tv...


signs reminding visitors to cover up...


and seeing Arabic magazines that are bound and read backwards...


even Arabs love Martha...


But by far one of the highlights was watching the fountains go off at night at the foot of the Burj Khalifa. Designed like the ones at the Bellagio in Vegas, they were programmed to music that varied from Arabic to Andrea Bocelli to Michael Jackson. 




I can't thank you enough for all of your sweet birthday wishes! You're all so thoughtful - even though I had a quiet day to myself yesterday, your lovely comments really made my day! And then my guy returned home with a fun surprise - a gorgeous watch (I've been wanting one with a big face). He really is the best!!



Dubai shopping pics to come...

lisa

19 comments:

akbar said...

great job i never seen before like that...thanx for your post..

Red Door Home said...

This must have been an amazing experience to see such a beautiful place in person. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of Fantasia. A meeting of he west and the east, but yet, not quite the quintessential paradigm. Have a lovely day ~ xox Alexandra

Formerly known as Frau said...

Amazing pictures, I love all the different buildings! I would probably get arrested....hard to not hold hands or some PDA! Love your new watch....your guy is a keeper!

Miss Val's Creations said...

Gorgeous photos! I would love to visit Dubai someday and experience the culture! Your watch is beautiful with its simplicity. ~Val

jeanette from everton terrace said...

Wow, what a great cultural picnic. I would be so worried about forgetting not to hold my husband's hand, such a natural thing I do.
Can't get over the Burj Khalifa - amazing.
Poor camels!

Meeling said...

Wow...how neat...what an experience!! Lots of rules too, good to know before you do something inappropriate though!

Their money is really interesting looking and camel burgers??? Hmmm, I like trying new things but I'm not sure about that one!

Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

First off, Happy Belated Birthday! Secondly, your photos are amazing..thanks so much for sharing them here...I was transfixed by each one, having never been to this part of the world. It looks SO clean in this city! LOVE viewing Dubai through your eyes...and gorgeous new watch, congrats!!!

Pinecone said...

I loved the tour! Camel races and gold machines...wild!!
The watch is great...I love the ones with a big face too.
xo
Ashlyn

carolyn said...

wow, thank you for sharing! i have always been fascinated by dubai. excellent little glimpse :)

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Such an intersting post. I love learning about other countries and the culture there. It's fasinating. I look forward to reading more!
p.s. I noticed some of those Barbies weren't covered up. :)

annechovie said...

Fascinating tour, Lisa. I'm not sure I could ever go, can't stand to cover my knees!! LOL. How is it that anyone can get turned on by someone's "knees"??! Bizarre. xx

Lissa Pierce said...

Sounds like you had a great trip! I am always amazed by the tallest of tall buildings....and many more to come. Camel races sound cool and to get your money from a gold machine....only in Dubai :)

Tonia Lee Smith said...

I have friend that live in the US now that are from Dubai. I'm always in awe of the pictures th come back with....Gold to go, huh? And the magazines are printed how I read. I always start at the back :) OH and Happy Birthday {belated}

Marianne said...

What a gorgeous place. I have never been there, but hope to make it someday. So many great photos! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Privet and Holly said...

Thanks for sharing
your pics! I hadn't
a clue, really what
to expect in terms
of the customs and
what the city looks
like. Fascinating
stuff!
xx Suzanne

Travel With Lulu said...

Thank you for the 'real' tour - no high gloss brochure. The gold machine and camel races are fascinating. I hope to make it to this far away land one day - I'm so intrigued... XOL

Kellie Collis said...

What a lovely surprise! So sweet! Dubai's got an amazing architecture and it must have been wonderful having a time by yourself. Enjoy the beautiful day, Kellie xx

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

Happy belated birthday and thanks for the Dubai tour. It was very interesting. I'm with you on enjoying the little differences, like the magazines bound on the right side.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails