Friday, September 30, 2011

[ a hankering for hankies ]


I'VE ALWAYS had a love for vintage hankies - perhaps it's the images they conjure up of ladylike olden days. I come across pretty ones every so often at antique shops and flea markets and it's such a shame to hide them away in a drawer or box.

How about making them into something so they can be admired? 

maybe some cushions...


or a table runner...


framed art...


or grouped as a headboard...


some pretty bunting...


a tablecloth or quilt...


a skirt...


or even a dress...


some lavendar sachets...


to decorate a party...


joined into a lovely scarf...


or charming curtains...


even if you don't sew, you can tie them like this...


So are you as smitten with these lovely girlie hankies as I am?

lisa

[nanasaidsew; martha stewart; country living; poppytalk; bellemaison23; etsy; 
polkadotchair; pinterest; thefabledneedle; skiptomylou; williamwedding; 
darbyharden; jollygoodegal; 2.bp.blogspot; themotherhuddle; nana'shouse]


13 comments:

Meeling said...

Lovely! I have quite a stash in my sewing room...they have such beautiful colors and prints. I sew with them quite a bit.

I love the idea of putting them on the back of the chair to decorate a garden party.

Have a great weekend Lisa!

Vanessa@decor happy said...

Thanks for the pretty post! Love the framed hankies - inexpensive but lots of impact.

Formerly known as Frau said...

So pretty they need to be displayed so how some way. I like the framing ones...or table cloth is nice.
Have a wonderful weekend!

a happy little life said...

I loved the skirt and dress! LOVED!

Amish Stories said...

I'm passing through some of the blogs and thought id stop and say hello. And i hope that you folks have a very nice fall weekend. Richard from the Amish community of Lebanon Pennsylvania.

All things nice... said...

Wow, those are so pretty, as I child I had lots of cloth hankies that I think my grandmother had, but as we moved house several times I seem to have mislaid them :( I saw wonderful invite hankies online too

All things nice...

Anna of IHOD said...

They are exquisite!
Something so feminine about them too!

emily said...

Such great ideas. Vintage hankies are so very pretty! I agree -- they need to be displayed!

Lulu and Co. said...

I was just in a home boutique specialty store ( the kind you go into for ideas...but can't afford the prices).... Anyhow they had handkerchiefs framed!!!! A set of four different handkerchiefs...it caught my eye, I loved them right away...and thought this is something I could really recreate!
xo,
Lulu

Carolyn@SweetChaos said...

They are darling! Love the skirt and the curtains!!

Tina said...

Smitten ...100%!! Oh my goodness, so many gorgeous ideas for hankies, I can't even choose a favourite! Love, love, love this post:) Going back for another look!! ~ xx

flowers on my table said...

Pretty ideas, I loved the framed ones. Love Linda x

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

Lovely uses for vintage hankies. So dainty and colourful. My mom had a huge collection from my uncle-in-law who visited family in Poland(all hand stitched with fine crochet trim.)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails