Friday, September 30, 2011

[ a hankering for hankies ]


I'VE ALWAYS had a love for vintage hankies - perhaps it's the images they conjure up of ladylike olden days. I come across pretty ones every so often at antique shops and flea markets and it's such a shame to hide them away in a drawer or box.

How about making them into something so they can be admired? 

maybe some cushions...


or a table runner...


framed art...


or grouped as a headboard...


some pretty bunting...


a tablecloth or quilt...


a skirt...


or even a dress...


some lavendar sachets...


to decorate a party...


joined into a lovely scarf...


or charming curtains...


even if you don't sew, you can tie them like this...


So are you as smitten with these lovely girlie hankies as I am?

lisa

[nanasaidsew; martha stewart; country living; poppytalk; bellemaison23; etsy; 
polkadotchair; pinterest; thefabledneedle; skiptomylou; williamwedding; 
darbyharden; jollygoodegal; 2.bp.blogspot; themotherhuddle; nana'shouse]


12 comments:

Meeling said...

Lovely! I have quite a stash in my sewing room...they have such beautiful colors and prints. I sew with them quite a bit.

I love the idea of putting them on the back of the chair to decorate a garden party.

Have a great weekend Lisa!

Vanessa@decor happy said...

Thanks for the pretty post! Love the framed hankies - inexpensive but lots of impact.

Formerly known as Frau said...

So pretty they need to be displayed so how some way. I like the framing ones...or table cloth is nice.
Have a wonderful weekend!

tracie c. said...

I loved the skirt and dress! LOVED!

All things nice... said...

Wow, those are so pretty, as I child I had lots of cloth hankies that I think my grandmother had, but as we moved house several times I seem to have mislaid them :( I saw wonderful invite hankies online too

All things nice...

Anna @ IHOD said...

They are exquisite!
Something so feminine about them too!

emily said...

Such great ideas. Vintage hankies are so very pretty! I agree -- they need to be displayed!

Lulu and Co. said...

I was just in a home boutique specialty store ( the kind you go into for ideas...but can't afford the prices).... Anyhow they had handkerchiefs framed!!!! A set of four different handkerchiefs...it caught my eye, I loved them right away...and thought this is something I could really recreate!
xo,
Lulu

Carolyn@Sweet Chaos Home said...

They are darling! Love the skirt and the curtains!!

Tina said...

Smitten ...100%!! Oh my goodness, so many gorgeous ideas for hankies, I can't even choose a favourite! Love, love, love this post:) Going back for another look!! ~ xx

flowers on my table said...

Pretty ideas, I loved the framed ones. Love Linda x

Unknown said...

Lovely uses for vintage hankies. So dainty and colourful. My mom had a huge collection from my uncle-in-law who visited family in Poland(all hand stitched with fine crochet trim.)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails